Training is crucial to all the activities of the Jamaica Fire Brigade and it has a Department dedicated to the ongoing training of the membership.
The role of the Training Department is two fold:
1. Working in association with the Personnel Department, it conducts an annual training audit to identify the training needs of the Brigade. Relevant courses are identified and the Department coordinates the attendance of the members whether locally or overseas.
2. The Training Department also consistently monitors and evaluates training techniques utilized internationally and where appropriate modifies the performance objectives to reflect these new trends.
The Training Department is headed by the Commandant who is a Senior Officer responsible for the day to day activities of the Department. The Training Department provides a comprehensive programme of training courses to meet the needs identified by the training audit.
Training is conducted as follows:
1. Fire Stations – General continuing training to maintain skills level.
2. Central training - recruit training, local specialized training, command and supervision.
3. Other institutions - specialist courses, management training.
The staff structure of the Training Department is flexible influenced mainly by the type of training being conducted by a Cadre of trained Instructors who have completed a training programme that meets NFPA 1041 standards.